RSS

Hanging out With Country Star Brad Paisley Behind the Scenes

Hanging out With Country Star Brad Paisley Behind the ScenesBrad Paisley is hilarious.

He’s far more focused on making great music – and jokes — than flaunting his celebrity status, so it’s easy to forget he is a country music super star when you’re in his presence.

Crowned “Entertainer of the Year” at last year’s Country music Awards, Paisley is more than just a singer-songwriter. He is a husband to “Father of the Bride” actress Kimberly Williams, father to two sons and a mentor to up-and-coming country music artists.

Now he is also an author. His latest venture includes a book, “Diary of a Player: How My musical Heroes Made a guitar Man Out of Me,” which is described as “a salute to the guitar gods of country, blues, and rock & roll who have shaped his life.” The book is in stores today.

“Nightline” tagged along with Paisley for a day, taking a ride with the country music star as he drove his pick-up truck down music Row in downtown Nashville to his recording studio, where he is grooming a new artist, Brent Anderson, on a song they co-wrote, “What If She Is.”

“I keep thinking of stuff I didn’t put in [the book]” Paisley said on the drive. “My first ever accident was on music Row, I was interning for ASCAP….It was the best, most poetic place I could have had my first accident.”

Hanging out With Country Star Brad Paisley Behind the ScenesWhile on the drive, Paisley also talked about the first time he heard one of his songs on the radio — “I remember thinking I really sound funny,” he said — and pointed out his alma mater, Blemont University, where he met his long-time producer, got his big break during an internship and – most surprisingly – earned a “D” in his guitar class.

“They send me to Nashville with these lofty goals of being a big guitar player, and the one class I get a D in, I remember my dad, he was so furious,” Paisley said, chuckling.

He also talked about his desire to keep normalcy in his life – a reminder of his humble upbringing in Glen Dale, W. Va. His mother was a fourth grade teacher and his father worked for the state’s Department of Transportation.


I come from a place that’s stuck in that time,” he said. “My hometown was 1,200 people, so I mean, there’s Mayberry parts to that place… I really do miss a little bit of the simplicity. But I also wouldn’t trade my iPhone for much, at this point. You know, I like the simplicity of being able to check your email in any location.”
Paisley now lives in Franklin, Tenn., on his 85-acre farm with his family, where he enjoys driving his beloved Corvettes and riding his quarter-horses.
Spending the day with Paisley leaves me to wonder if it would be possible for this mega star to be any nicer – or funnier. His humor comes through in his book, a tribute to “guiter gods” and his grandfather, who gave him his first guitar at age 8.

And, of course, Paisley could not resist a joke about his book’s clever title.


“Well, we misspelled it. I wanted it to be ‘playa,’” he said. ”And, I mean, you know, I looked at it when I got the copy, I said, it says ‘player’!”

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS